Care 

My dog ​​just ate lilac! Are Lilacs Poisonous or Poisonous to Dogs?


One of the joys of summer is taking in the fresh air in the garden and enjoying the sight and smell of flowers. Our Dogs love the garden even! Being outside isn’t just great for walking, is exploring the garden safe for your dog?

Dogs are naturally curious and use their mouths to explore textures and smells that they find fascinating. Just like tulips and roses, lilacs are highly fragrant. This means that they can be attractive to your canine companion.

When you find your lilac plant was nibbled on by your dog friend, you may have questions: is a lilac bush toxic to my dog? If my dog ​​has eaten lilac, what should I do? Will my dog ​​be fine if he eats lilacs? Well, let’s get in and find out!

Are Lilac Plants Poisonous to Dogs?

The lilac plant is non-toxic to our pets, so it is safe to eat.

The good news is that lilacs not toxic (poisonous) to dogs. Purple flowers, stems, and leaves do not cause toxic reactions when consumed and are unlikely to cause skin reactions.

the Latin name for lilac is syringe. They grow as bushes and trees. Lilacs are Members of the olive family, and its flowers are safe enough to be eaten by humans!

If your puppy has nibbled on a plant and you’re not sure what it is, or you think it might be toxic, call your veterinarian right away. If your dog has eaten lilac and you are sure it is lilac, you can be a little more relaxed, but do it keep an eye on them for signs of an upset stomach.

Lilacs are not poisonous, but Chinese berries are

Yellow labrador puppy with tongue out
It is not true that lilacs are poisonous to our canine friends.

You may have heard that lilac is poisonous to our canine companions, but it is not. It is likely that the rumor arose because the Chinese berry – sometimes called the “Syringa berry tree” or “Persian lilac” – is poisonous. Lilacs do not belong to the same plant family as the Chinese berry. Lilacs are safe for dogs. Chinaberry is unsafe for dogs and unsuitable for a dog-friendly garden.

Chinaberry toxicity can be severe and cause vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, and fatigue. In severe cases, dogs may have fits (fits) after consuming Chinaberry. The berry is the most poisonous part of the plant for dogs. Dogs will eat berries – they like fruit – so keep your puppy away from china berries and contact your veterinarian immediately if any part of the plant has been swallowed.

Goat roe (Latin name Galega officinalis) is also known as “French lilac. ” Colorado State University’s Guide to Poisonous Plants explains that while this plant is unusual, it is poisonous. It grows in northern Utah and has caused death in sheep. Fortunately, you will hardly find it in your garden. Even if they did, your puppy probably wouldn’t eat it. Sheep only eat it when they are hungry and there is no alternative food.

Dangers of consuming lilac in dogs

Beagle lies on a carpet
Some puppies can get upset stomachs from eating lilacs or other plants.

Once Fido found his way into the garden and had some lilacs, there are some dangers to watch out for. While most of these problems are not life threatening, the excessive consumption of lilac plants is one could cause you may experience some of the problems listed below.

Upset stomach

Lilac is non-toxic, but it can cause stomach upset in dogs. eat too much of any plant material can irritate your dog’s intestines. This can cause them to vomit or have loose feces. Some dogs are more sensitive than others, but it is best to supervise your puppy in the garden and keep them from eating plants. You can mistakenly identify a plant, and some plants are poisonous – so safer than sorry!

Pesticides

Never spray chemical pesticides or other treatments on lilacs or other plants in your yard if you have a dog. These can be dangerous for dogs. Keep Fido away from plants in public gardens in case they have been sprayed.

Purple stems or leaves

Lilac stems or leaves can tickle your dog’s throat, making him cough or sneeze. This is probably not serious and would will likely go away within minutes. If you notice a cough or sneeze after eating lilacs, have your puppy checked by your veterinarian just in case something gets stuck in his throat.

Fresh, green stems and leaves are difficult for dog intestines to break. They could block a dog’s intestines (if they have eaten a lot) cause disability. A dog with an obstruction will vomit, will not want to eat, and will be quiet or dull. If you notice these signs, urgently see your veterinarian. Disability from eating lilac plants is unlikely, but not impossible.

Allergic reaction

Dogs can be allergic to anything. If your dog eats a lilac and then drooling or her face swelling, then there may be an allergic reaction. This can go away in minutes, but dogs can have pretty strong reactions.

Allergic reactions can cause your puppy to become dull, vomit and Have difficulty breathing. If you think your dog is allergic, contact your veterinarian right away.

My dog ​​ate lilac: what now?

Dog with a guilty look
Your dog should be A-OK if he eats any part of the lilac plant.

No panic! Fortunately, lilacs aren’t poisonous and your pup most likely will be good. Check to see if the plant is purple. If in doubt and the plant could be poisonous, call your veterinarian or an animal poison hotline:

  • The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) Poison Control Center is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
  • the Animal poison hotline is a 24/7 licensed animal poison advisory service

Please note that you are calling these numbers is chargeable and may not be cheaper than calling your vet. They are an excellent source of advice, but are not intended to be a substitute for veterinary care for a sick pet.

Move your dog away from the lilac prevent him from eating any more of the plant– Lilac is not poisonous, but it can upset dogs’ stomachs. If you notice drooling, swelling, or strange behavior after eating lilac, this may be a allergic reaction. Call your veterinarian or local emergency veterinary clinic for advice.

If your dog has vomiting or diarrhea after eating lilac, it will usually resolves on its own within a day and without further treatment. You can monitor at home to see if they are bright, behaving normally, and eating / drinking. If you have any concerns or symptoms persist for more than 24 hours, always play it safe and seek advice from your veterinarian.

Plants that look like lilacs and dogs

Happy Pomeranian sitting under lilac flowers
There are some plants that are similar to lilacs that are not suitable for dog consumption.

Buddleia look a bit like lilacs and are popular garden plants because they attract butterflies. Buddleia, like lilacs, is non-toxic to dogs but avoid nibbling your puppy in case it causes an upset stomach.

Delphinium plants can be mistaken for lilac – their flowers are similar in color to purple. Delphinium is poisonous both for dogs and for other animals that lead to diseases with sufficient food intake. Avoid growing delphinium in your yard to keep it dog-safe. If you think your puppy has eaten delphinium, call your veterinarian.

Preventing the ingestion of lilacs

Boston Terrier posing in front of purple flowers
Human supervision, nets around flower beds, and distracting toys are some ideas to help keep your pup off your lilac.

Lilac is a great plant choice for your garden if you have a dog.it is relatively safe to eat. Even if your dog has an upset stomach after eating lilac, it would likely be mild and short-lived.

That said it is best not to swallow your pup on lilacs. So how can you stop your furry friend from eating them?

  • The best way to prevent plants from ingesting is to be with them and supervise them at all times.
  • Putting nets around flower beds can keep your dog from getting to flowers.
  • It also allows you to see and smell the flowers in full bloom, so win-win!
  • Give your canine companion things to investigate in the garden.
  • This can be a toy, somewhere to dig, or a dog-safe chew toy to gnaw on.
  • Provide safe, pesticide-free grass for your pup to graze on.
  • Yes, dogs often love to eat grass, so offer something to quench that urge.
  • Consider adding fresh fruits or vegetables to your pup’s diet.

frequently asked Questions

  • Will my dog ​​be fine if he eats lilacs?

    Yes, most likely he will be fine with no side effects. He can get a slight stomach upset, but this will likely resolve quickly with no long-term problems. On rare occasions, dogs can experience an allergic reaction or more serious stomach upset, but this is unlikely.

  • Which flowers are poisonous to dogs?

    The ASPCA offers a comprehensive List of plants poisonous to dogs.

  • Which flowers can safely grow in my garden?

    The ASPCA offers one List of non-toxic plants that are safe for gardens with dogs.

  • How can I prevent my dog ​​from eating plants?

    Supervise your dog around plants, put up fences and nets, and provide distractions like dog toys to keep your dog from eating plants.

Final thoughts

Dogs love to eat plants – they’re omnivores like us, so they can eat a wide variety of plants and meat. Having these in their diet can help keep them from nibbling on your garden plants. 90% of your dog’s diet should be complete, balanced dog food – 10% can consist of healthy extras like fruits and vegetables.

Be sure to avoid poisonous fruits and vegetables (Onions, leeks, chives and grapes are poisonous to dogs). If you are unsure whether a food is safe for your dog or if there are certain medical needs that mean it should not be given new food, then ask your vet first. And finally, always remember to introduce new foods little by little.

Related posts

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.