Are banana peels poisonous to dogs?
Despite several theories about the possible benefits of banana peel, you shouldn’t give your dog banana peels. Some people suggest putting banana peel over a wart to help cure it; others say if you leave a bowl on the floor it kills fleas. Note that in either case, there is no need to feed your puppy any trays!
Just like apple kernels, peels are not poisonous even to dogs, however, they are hard to digest. This reason is that they contain a very concentrated amount of fiber. The outer skin of a banana can cause vomiting and even intestinal blockage. Fortunately, this is rare, but not worth the risk! Obstructions in the stomach or intestines are serious and require emergency surgery.
You should be especially careful with small breeds and dogs who have a tendency to swallow their food instead of chewing it. These pooches can be more prone to constipation. Always peel a banana if you want to offer something to your puppy.
Another reason to avoid the peel of a banana is that it tastes terrible! Even monkeys have a tendency to peel bananas, and you would peel your own, so there is no reason to offer the peel to Fido. Even so, we all know that some of our canine friends are extraordinary scavengers. Even with the best of intentions, your dog could manage to eat a banana peel. Try to keep bananas out of your pup’s reach.
My dog ate a banana peel, now what?
If despite their best efforts, your canine companion manages to eat a banana peel or a whole banana, you should do so Call your vet. This should be the first step you take before doing anything else. They will likely ask you to leave your dog at home and monitor him for illness.
If you experience symptoms of any illness or upset stomach, you should call your veterinarian right away. If they vomit part or all of the shell, snap a picture to show your veterinarian.
A bit of vomiting or diarrhea may occur as the fiber content “shocks” the system. However, more severe symptoms could indicate a blockage in the bowels:
- Reduced or absent stool
- An effort to get past chairs
- Lethargy (tiredness)
- Abdominal pain: unusual stretching, “praying” position, restlessness
- Reduced or loss of appetite
If you experience any of these symptoms in your pet, or if you have any other concerns, you should contact your veterinarian right away. Time is of the essence if you experience symptoms of an intestinal blockage from peeling.
Will banana peels kill my dog?
Yes, technically, a shell could kill a dog due to an intestinal blockage. While the actual fruit of a banana is a safe treat for dogs, the skins themselves are not and shouldn’t be consumed by your canine companion.
An intestinal blockage is the most likely way like the skin of a banana could be fatal. Allergic reactions to most tropical fruits in dogs are rare, but there is also a possible severe allergic reaction that could be life-threatening.
As mentioned earlier, the type of damage to your dog’s stomach will depend on its size. A giant breed dog has a much higher chance of passing a large bowl while small breeds take a higher risk of having an intestinal blockage.
Will banana peels make my dog sick?
Bananas are non-toxic to canines. But the shells can cause intestinal blockages. Some dogs may also have a food allergy (although rare), which can cause other life-threatening conditions. These symptoms should be evaluated and treated by your veterinarian.
Symptoms of an allergy include itching and swelling of the face. Should this happen, Treat it as an emergency and call your vet.
As explained above, the most worrying thing is the peel, which is bitter and indigestible. If your puppy is eating the skin of a banana, you need to contact your veterinarian. Depending on how much has been eaten, your veterinarian may want to see your dog and do additional tests.
What happens at the vet?
If your veterinarian is concerned after your first call, you will likely need to take your puppy to their office to be seen. you will be conducting a clinical evaluation and investigate the risk posed by the ingested shell. You need to know exactly how much was eaten or as close as possible when you speak to your veterinarian. Then your veterinarian will determine which of the next steps to take.
If your vet has concerns, likely they will Do some tests. This will likely include an x-ray to determine where the banana peel is and what the risk of constipation is. You can also do an ultrasound, which is minimally invasive, to scan your pup’s organs. An endoscopy could also be done in more severe cases. This is where a long but flexible camera is inserted into your dog’s stomach to find the foreign body.
It is important to note; Dog owners shouldn’t try to induce vomiting yourself at home. This should only be done by a licensed veterinarian. If you induce vomiting on your own, it can cause further damage as the scrub re-runs your dog’s esophageal tube. You run the risk of choking your dog if the bowl is reopened. Let your veterinarian make this decision and take this step as needed.
If the shell has moved into the small intestine and is not yet stuck, surgical removal is the next option. During the surgery, your veterinarian can assess any additional damage or obstruction and remove the banana peel. The success of surgical removal depends on what type of damage or blockage may have occurred. If caught early, there is usually a high chance of a full recovery.
Depending on which direction your vet has gone, your dog may be kept overnight or for a few days. This ensures that they will be closely monitored by veterinary staff and let them react accordingly in case your pup deteriorates. The veterinary staff will also monitor dehydration if your puppy has vomited too much fluid.
Bananas can be a safe and delicious treat to share with your canine friend. However, always peel a banana before offering anything to your dog. If you want to be on the safe side, you can always feed your pup other fruits that are known to be safe. Some safe fruits are blueberries, papaya, and even kiwi.
While scrubs are not toxic, they are difficult to digest and can cause problems for your dog’s intestines. Keep bananas out of the reach of curious noses!