If you are lucky live near a field of cornflowers, your dog can help himself to a delicious snack. But that could make you wonder if cornflowers are safe for dogs, or if your pup will experience permanent after-effects.
In this article, we’ll look at what to look for when you are Dog ate cornflowers. You will learn what happens if Fido has eaten too much and when it is time to call your vet. Let’s jump in.
What are cornflowers?
Cornflowers (Centurea cyanus) are a common wildflower at the edge of the field, also known as “Bachelor’s Buttons” and “Bluebottle”. The wild versions are usually bright blue, but also pink and white versions are available and are often grown by commercial flower growers for their beautiful colors.
The flowers look a bit like small thistles. Although their leaves are not covered with spines or hairs and are much slimmer. You will too see them contained in wildflower mixes, so they are used more and more in verges, parks, and gardens.
Plants that look like cornflower
If your pup has eaten a cornflower, it is important to identify the plant. Though there aren’t many real blue flowers there are a couple of lookalikes that may also have escaped from gardens or flower farms.
Nigella Damascus (Love-in-a-Mist) has fine, fern-like foliage. While it has no reported toxicity, it is not listed as safe, either. Borago officinalis, or borage, also has blue flowers, but these are star-shaped and the leaves are broad. However, it can cause vomiting and drooling when consumed, so make sure your puppy has definitely eaten cornflower and not borage.
Another plant that is often confused with cornflower is Sun hat – not because they look the same, but because the names sound so similar. Sun hat (Echinacea) Plants are large, with large, daisy-like flowers of purple, white, or a range of other colors. Unlike daisies, whose petals point upwards, the sunhat’s petals hang down, giving it its name.
Are Cornflowers Poisonous to Dogs?
The ASPCA lists cornflowers as non-toxic to dogs (and cats – though the Animal poison hotline lists it as toxic to cats), and it even makes it onto lists of dog-safe plants. However, eating any kind of plant material can cause vomiting due to irritation to the stomach, so you may experience an upset stomach.
Cornflower joins other pet-safe plants that will be well taken care of in your garden. Some of these are petunias, sunflowers, and lilacs.
Chemicals on the cornflower
You should also be aware of any chemicals that may have been used on the land. While most wildflower meadows are fairly chemical-free, wild cornflowers grow on field edges can be exposed to herbicide and pesticide drift. While these should be very small amounts, you should be aware of the signs related to weed and pesticide poisoning in dogs.
My dog ate a cornflower: what now?
When Fido has eaten a cornflower, you don’t need to panic. Cornflowers are not poisonous to dogs. Here is a step-by-step checklist to make sure you don’t have to worry.
Step # 1: Prevent Fido from Eating the Plant
Keep your dog from eating the plant and check him out – is he drooling or is his mouth irritated? You may need to separate Fido from the plant by securing it in a different room or area with no plants.
Step # 2: Analyze What Has Been Consumed
Look for evidence – what did they eat? If you’re sure it’s a cornflower, great. However, it’s worth checking out other similar-looking plants. You want to make sure there is nothing else.
Step # 3: review the environment
Check the area to make sure that only cornflowers have been consumed. These are often part of a wildflower mix and may grow near other, more poisonous plants.
Step # 4: watch out for symptoms
If you know only cornflowers have been ingested and Fido is showing no signs, you can take him home to monitor him. Keep an eye on him for 24 hours in case he develops any after-effects. Irritation can come from the fiber or the plant. Unfortunately, it cannot be determined whether chemicals have been used in the area recently. You should also watch for signs of herbicide and pesticide toxicity.
Step # 5: Always call your veterinarian with any questions
If Fido starts vomiting, it is probably short-lived and mild. Offer little and often food, but don’t be surprised if he doesn’t want it right away. If he continues to vomit, cannot hold food or water, becomes lethargic, or develops any other signs, you should see a veterinarian.
Will my dog be okay?
Cornflowers are considered non-toxic to dogs most dogs are fine after eating cornflowers. Occasionally, however, dogs develop vomiting or diarrhea. This can happen due to the amount of fiber they have been consuming. It can also happen that the strands of the plant material irritate your intestines. This vomiting and diarrhea is usually mild and goes away quickly. However, you should contact your veterinarian if your puppy shows other symptoms, doesn’t stop vomiting or becomes lethargic.
If the bachelor’s buttons have been sprayed with herbicide or pesticide, you can see other signs, including Sores, itchy skin, shortness of breath, restlessness, or, in severe cases, seizures. While your canine companion is unlikely to ingest enough poison to become seriously ill, it is something to consider since herbicides and pesticides are much more toxic than cornflowers. I
If Fido ate a plant that you know was treated with chemicals, call your vet or ask the Animal Poison Helpline for advice as soon as possible. If you are unsure, it is okay to monitor your home, but be ready to act if he gets sick.
Prevention of ingestion of cornflowers
While cornflowers are unlikely to do any harm, it still is not a good idea to encourage them to eat. Try to demarcate areas of the garden, especially if your puppy is young and curious, or after you’ve applied weed killers or chemical pesticides.
Teach him to “let it go”
You should also teach your dog a good “Leave it” command, that is: useful in emergencies. Offer your dog a little exciting treat with your hand closed, e.g. B. a piece of his usual croquet. It is likely that your dog will sniff your hand and eventually withdraw, confused. As soon as he moves away, mark the behavior with a clicker or a “good boy”. Then reward him with better treatment from your other hand.
Repeat until he ignores the treat in his closed hand. Then add the command word ‘leave it’ each time. Then you can put the unexciting treat on the floor and say, “Leave it.” Then, reward your dog to ignore or remove from the treat.
Once this is reliable, try using more treats as bait until you can get him to move away from whatever you ask him to do. do not forget to practice outside and in different situations to help him remember what to do.
frequently asked Questions
Are cornflowers poisonous to pets?
Is “cornmeal” related to cornflower?
Are bachelorette parties poisonous to dogs?
Cornflowers are not known to be toxic to dogs. So, if Fido ate a cornflower, you probably don’t need to worry. However, like any plant, they can still cause vomiting and diarrhea.
If your dog has eaten cornflowers, check again You identified the plant correctly, then monitor him at home for signs of problems. Most dogs will grow out of eating anything in sight, but if you have a Labrador or a similarly greedy breed, you may need to block access to your garden plants to keep them from eating too much.