Chocolate poisoning is dangerous, so understanding what happens to dogs while ingesting chocolate is important. It’s also important to understand what steps to take immediately after your puppy ingests some chocolate, such as: B. a brownie.
Chocolate is bad for dogs because it’s made from cocoa, which contains two compounds – Theobromine and caffeine. Dogs are more sensitive to these substances called methylxanthines and cannot metabolize them as well as humans. Both of these ingredients can build up to toxic levels in your puppy. So what should you do if your pup finds his way into a basket of brownies?
My dog ate a brownie: what now?
So what should you do after your dog has eaten chocolate brownies? There are actually a few steps that you need to take and act quickly depending on how many brownies have been consumed.
Step 1: remove brownies from Fido
Move the brownies to a safe place, out of reach of the dog so that he can no longer eat. You may need to keep your puppy in a safe place or lock them up while you clean up the mess and clear the area.
Step # 2: Find Out How Much Was Eaten
Get a rough idea of how many brownies the dog ate and what kind of chocolate was in the brownie. Look for the “total cocoa solids” on the packaging – it is usually given as a percentage. You can use that too Chocolate Toxicity Calculator to get an idea of how concerned you need to be as a pet parent.
Step # 3: call your veterinarian
Call a vet or the Animal poison hotline and ask for advice depending on how much and what type of chocolate was eaten. They should tell you what to do next.
How many brownies can a dog eat?
With brownies, the damage done depends on the type of chocolate used to make the brownies. White chocolate tends to be the least at risk, followed by milk chocolate and then dark chocolate. Dark chocolate is the worst thing for dogs because it has a higher percentage of cocoa, which means it contains more of the toxic ingredients theobromine and caffeine.
Cooking chocolate (baker’s chocolate) is usually worse – 1 ounce of baker’s chocolate can do as much damage as several ounces of milk chocolate! Usually, The darker and less sweet the chocolate, the worse your puppy could be affected.
Cocoa powder is also bad for dogs because it is high in theobromine – and like all theobromine, it is still toxic after it has been cooked. This is a useful resource to find the harmful ingredients of different types of chocolate.
The risk to your dog also depends on her size. Larger breeds are likely to be less affected by the same amount of chocolate as a small dog. Because puppies are smaller, they are also likely to have worse side effects than adult dogs.
One ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight can be fatal in dogs. On average, a serving of brownies contains 2 ounces of milk chocolate. This means that eating one or more brownies can cause potential problems for any dog, but especially smaller dogs as they are lighter in weight.
When should I call the vet?
If you think your dog has eaten chocolate, always call the veterinarian for advice. it is better to treat early than waiting for the dog to show signs of chocolate poisoning.
If the type and amount of chocolate being consumed present a small risk, the veterinarian may suggest Keep an eye on your dog to check for symptoms of chocolate poisoning (see below). If the situation is more severe or you’ve seen clinical signs, the veterinarian may ask you to take Fido to the clinic.
In this case, the vet can arrange for your puppy to vomit the chocolate and give him activated charcoal. Activated charcoal helps trap toxic substances in the dog’s intestines to prevent them from being absorbed and causing harm to the dog. The vet should also provide supportive care to your puppy such as: B. Fluid, Colon Irrigation, and Pain Relief.
What are the signs of chocolate toxicity?
The signs of chocolate poisoning don’t appear right away, and it does can take up to 12 hours to show signs of illness. However, once they start, these symptoms can last up to 72 hours so knowing what to look for is important. Depending on how severe the poisoning is, the following signs may appear:
- urinate and/or drink more often
- General restlessness and excitement
- Muscle tremors
- Increased heart rate/palpitations
- Death (in extreme cases)
In the case of chocolate poisoning, the result is always better with early treatment. For this reason, if you believe a brownie has been eaten or anything else should not be eaten, it is best to contact the veterinarian immediately.
It should also be noted that even if the amount of chocolate eaten does not result in chocolate poisoning, it can still cause abdominal discomfort due to the fat and sugar content.
What about other brownie ingredients?
Although many brownies are made with chocolate, brownie ingredients are different can lead to poisoning when eaten.
Macadamia nuts are also poisonous for dogs. If your pup has eaten brownies with macadamia nuts, you should Mention this when calling a vet for advice. The signs of macadamia nut toxicity are usually mild and self-limiting; however, this is not always the case. In severe cases, the veterinarian should address the clinical symptoms to make your canine companion more comfortable.
Possible signs of macadamia nut poisoning include:
- Inability to stand
- Reluctance to walk
Most dogs recover from macadamia nut toxicity with the help of a veterinarian. It is worth being aware of this Dogs with other health problems are at greater risk of severe poisoning cases.
An artificial sweetener found in many keto and “healthy brownie” recipes, as well as in some peanut butter, can be incredibly toxic to dogs if ingested. As little as 0.0017 ounces per pound of body weight can cause signs of intoxication. Xylitol in dogs causes a sharp drop in blood sugar followed by liver damage, both of which can lead to death.
Signs of xylitol toxicity are:
- Potentially death
If you have any reason to believe that your puppy has eaten anything containing xylitol, contact your veterinarian right away. It can be useful Send a picture of the packaging to your vet or have it ready to read through the ingredient list with you if you are not sure.
Marijuana (AKA ‘Pot Brownies’)
If your dog has eaten an edible brownie with marijuana, then you should contact a vet right away. Dogs are much more sensitive to marijuana than humans, and it’s often more difficult to gauge the amount consumed compared to other ingredients like chocolate.
Don’t be embarrassed – your vet doesn’t care about how Fido ate weed, only that he survived the experience. If your pup has eaten pot brownies, likely your veterinarian will ask you to bring her for hospitalization.
How Much Brownie Can Kill a Dog?
The amount of brownies that can kill a dog depends on the following:
- the Kind of chocolate used to make brownies
- the number ate brownies
- the size of the dog in question
- All other poisonous ingredients included in the brownies
These factors are important in assessing the risk to a dog. It is also worth considering other health conditions that may put your pup at higher risk. This can be done for dogs with Diabetes, arthritis (osteoarthritis), kidney disease, or heart disease, for example. This can also apply to older dogs, as they are more prone to severe signs of chocolate poisoning.
Even so, it still is unlikely your dog will die from chocolate poisoning. Even in severe cases, most dogs tend to recover from quick and aggressive treatment by a veterinarian.
Preventing brownie ingestion
If you want to protect your furry friends, the best thing to do is to keep them from eating what they shouldn’t be eating. This means that sweet treats like brownies, cookies, and other potentially harmful foods are leftover Out of reach of all pets. For pets who have a tendency to rummage through the trash, make sure you keep the containers in an inaccessible location or use a child safety lock to prevent the container from opening if necessary.
It is also advisable to Be careful during times of high risk, like Easter, Valentine’s Day, and Christmas, where there are likely many family members who love to give treats to the dog. In this case, it is best to ask Grandma to feed them pet-friendly dog treats instead, and not give your dog any chocolate whatsoever.
If your dog has eaten a brownie, it is There is a risk of chocolate poisoning or toxicity from some of the other brownie ingredients. The risk depends on the type of chocolate, the amount of chocolate, and your dog’s size, as well as the other ingredients.
When you see your pup eat a brownie, Always call your vet or the Pet Poison Helpline for the advice! They will help you find out if your canine companion has received a toxic dose and what to do next.