First, let’s make sure we’re on the same page when it comes to plums. Plums are dried plums. They often come in cans or tins, although they can also be found in plastic packaging. They are usually kept without a stone or pit (“pitted plums”), although plums with the pit inside are also available. Some plums are specially grown to be transformed into plums because the stone is easy to remove. Plums are high in sugar and are also rich in fiber, potassium and vitamin K.
So let’s get back to the question: Can Dogs Eat Plums and Are They Good For Them? Read on to learn more, including what actions to take if your pup reacts adversely after eating it.
So can dogs eat plums?
The short answer is: No, you shouldn’t intentionally feed your dog prunes. While plums are not astoxic as grapes and raisins, they are difficult to digest and can be the cause of digestive problems. Plums can cause stomach upset in dogs, including vomiting and diarrhea, abdominal pain, and loss of appetite.
The high sugar content isn’t good for dogs either! Remember, plums are essentially just dried plums. They are higher in sugar than real fruit and in excessive amounts can cause problems for puppies. The real danger is the cyanide that can come out of the pits of the plums. These can be poisonous. Pits are found in a variety of different canine-toxic fruits, including cherries.
Are plums poisonous to dogs?
The good news is that plums aren’t poisonous, even to dogs. It’s the pits, leaves, and stems that contain traces of cyanide and can be life-threatening if your dog eats them. If your dog accidentally eats a pitted plum, he or she is usually fine.
And if they experience side effects from eating prunes, they are likely mild and will stop after a few days. Of course, if the plum your dog ate has the stone or pit in it, other problems may arise. Overall, plums are not toxic like chocolate or like certain families of nuts.
My dog ate plums: what should I do?
If you accidentally fed your dog a prune or if your dog stole a prune, don’t panic. Keep an eye on your dog and look for signs of stomach pain, vomiting, and diarrhea. Most cases will go away within a few days, but you should call your veterinarian if symptoms persist or get severe.
You should also call your veterinarian if your dog becomes lethargic or has so much vomiting that he can no longer hold his food as this can dry him out very quickly. If your dog has symptoms other than those described above, contact your dog’s veterinarian.
Why are plum pits dangerous?
Plums that keep their stones (pits) are more dangerous to dogs as pitted plums. This is because the plum fruit stone is hard, pungent, and indigestible. It also contains cyanide. While the amount of cyanide in a flap is unlikely to cause serious problems, Several stones can add up quickly to be a dangerous crowd.
Because the plum pits are tough and indigestible, they can cause other problems for your dog’s intestines as well. The rough surface can scratch and damage a dog’s intestinal lining, causing diarrhea, discomfort, and bleeding. In smaller dogs or if large pits are left, the stone can also get stuck and form a gastrointestinal blockage. Blockages of the intestines can be fatal to pets, especially if left untreated.
My dog ate plum pits: what now?
If your dog has eaten prunes that have not had the pits removed, it is a good idea to contact the nearest open veterinary practice. This can be an emergency service. You need to know how many pits you think your dog has eaten and how big your dog is in order to be able to advise you. They can ask them to monitor your pet or bring them down for exams and treatments.
frequently asked Questions
Now that we’ve answered most of your dog and plum questions, you may have even less asked-for concerns. Below we answer all of your questions about plum juice, canned plums and much more. Let’s jump in!
Can dogs eat boiled or boiled plums?
No, boiled or boiled plums make no difference. Nutritional advice is the same, and dogs shouldn’t eat plums regularly. If they accidentally eat one, they’ll usually bounce back with no problem.
What about black plums?
Black plums should have the same impact on your dog as regular plums. It is not recommended for dogs. If your puppy has recently consumed one and is trading irregularly, contact your veterinarian right away. We do not recommend black plums for dogs.
Can dogs have canned plums for constipation?
Other foods work better for constipation in dogs. Do not feed your dog prunes or plum juice. Pumpkin is usually what most veterinarians recommend. Canned dog food can also help due to the moisture content.
Can plums be part of a balanced dog diet?
You may have seen plums recommended as part of a balanced diet for humans, but dogs have different needs. It is not recommended to specifically feed dogs plums. Although plums are high in potassium and vitamin K, dogs get all of the vitamins and minerals they need from their food. Your dog’s food is already a delicate balance, and extra feeding can throw it off balance. While that doesn’t mean you should never feed your dog extra treats, there are healthier supplements that come with fewer risks. For example, papaya is safe for dogs as well as sweet potatoes or even oatmeal.
Do Plums Help With Constipation In Dogs?
Plums are very difficult for dogs to digest and can lead to further digestive problems. Instead of feeding prunes for constipation, there are better alternatives. It is important that you encourage your dog to drink extra water. Adding a small amount of flavored dog electrolytes to the water bowl can encourage him. You can also add a little raw carrot for fiber. If your dog seems to be in pain and has no stool at all, a trip to the vet is in order. They can unlock your dog and help identify the source of the problem.
Can Dogs Have Plum Juice?
It is not recommended to give your dogs plum juice or juices. Juices are high in fructose, a type of sugar. And dog digestive systems aren’t really designed to handle a large amount of fructose. The resulting sugar levels can increase the likelihood of diabetes and cause hyperactivity issues, as well as gastrointestinal problems such as vomiting and diarrhea. Dogs just need to drink water.
Finally, Plums should not be fed to dogs. They are likely to cause an upset stomach due to their high sugar content, and there are far safer things to give your dog to increase their fiber and vitamin intake. If your dog accidentally eats a prune, don’t panic – the signs are usually mild and self-limiting – watch them closely and call the vet if necessary. Plum pits are much more dangerous to dogs and should be avoided. If your dog eats a plum stone, you should seek advice from your veterinarian right away.