Aloe Vera Poisoning in Dogs
Pets & Animals 

Aloe Vera Poisoning in Dogs

The main active ingredient in aloe vera, saponin, is a group of molecules that bond to sugar and can cause serious problems in your dog’s system in various ways.

The latex part of the aloe vera plant causes cramping, diarrhea, nausea, and dehydration.

The ability to lower the blood sugar in dogs is especially dangerous, causing coma and death in some cases.

When your dog eats part of an aloe vera plant, his body metabolizes the glycosides with bacteria found in the intestinal tract.

This produces a compound that increases mucus and water in the colon, causing nausea and vomiting.

If this continues, dangerous dehydration may follow and can be fatal if not treated right away.

It is best to take your dog to the veterinarian right away if you see or suspect that he has eaten any parts of an aloe vera plant.

Aloe vera is a fleshy plant with tall and serrated leaves, clusters of yellow flowers, and a gel inside that people use for burns and other medical properties.

While the gel may be good for humans to use, it is definitely not for consumption by dogs.

The plant contains a chemical called saponin, which is toxic to animals and children.

Ingestion of aloe vera can cause excessive vomiting, severe diarrhea, and low blood sugar.

In fact, the toxicity can be so extreme as to cause the breakdown of red blood cells, which can be fatal if not treated immediately.

The latex, which is the inner skin of the aloe vera leaves, contains a powerful laxative that can cause dehydration from diarrhea.

Visit us here for Dog Training, Dog Behavior Guides, Dog Grooming Guides, Pet Training Guides, etc.

#aloe #vera #poisoning

 

Related posts

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.