Care 

My dog ​​ate grapes: what should I do next?


Can dogs eat grapes? Are they poisonous? These are questions you are likely to ask yourself if your dog has recently eaten a grape. The answer is no, dogs cannot eat grapes. And yes, Even a grape or raisin can be toxic to dogs. Thanks to some recent information campaigns, it is common knowledge that grapes can be poisonous to dogs.

But how toxic are they? What Steps Should You Take If Your Dog Eats One? The answer here will depend on a variety of factors, but due to toxicity, the first thing you should do before any other research Contact your veterinarian immediately.

While the most common symptom is vomiting, and your dog may be telling the story, it is important that you take urgent action. Our veterinarian Jo Woodnutt will give you some advice on what to expect and what steps to take right away if this happens.

Are grapes poisonous to dogs?

There are many different human foods that are quite harmful to dogs.

Veterinarians knew that grapes are poisonous to dogs for almost 20 years. The discovery came after a centralized toxin database clarified a pattern: dogs died of kidney failure after consuming grapes, raisins, currants, and sultanas. There are many different foods that are quite toxic to dogs. These include garlic, chocolate, onions, coffee, and nuts like macadamia nuts.

The confusing thing is that some dogs can easily eat these while others die after a single raisin. 20 years later, we still don’t know why these things are poisonous to dogs and why only some dogs appear to be affected. It doesn’t seem to matter whether the grapes are fresh, dried, cooked, raw, organic, or local.

Dogs have been poisoned by both sown and seedless varieties, as well as red and green grapes. Dried grapes used in cooking and baking have also been shown to be poisonous, causing the same strange signs as grapes.

Can a single grape kill my dog?

Dog in the field with grapes
Even a single grape can cause serious health problems for your dog.

Unfortunately, it is possible for a single grape to kill a dog. In contrast to many poisons, grape toxicity does not appear to be dose-dependent. In other words, you cannot measure the weight of the grapes ingested and the weight of the dog and decide if there is any need to worry. We don’t yet know if it is the individual dog that is sensitive to the grapes, or if some grapes are something and others are not. If you and your dog are unlucky, a single grape can kill a dog – even a large one.

My dog ​​ate a grape, what should I do?

Dog stares at some grapes
If your dog accidentally ingests grapes, action must be taken immediately.

Unfortunately, because grapes are so unpredictable, your dog will have to see a veterinarian for immediate treatment. Do not wait for symptoms such as eating grass, vomiting, etc. By then, the damage is fixed and it may be too late to take anything other than supportive action. Here is a step-by-step guide on what to do if your dog eats a grape.

Make sure your dog can no longer eat

As with chicken bones, soap, or potentially dangerous items or foods, you need to limit exposure immediately. This usually means locking your dog up in a room so he can no longer have access to grapes or clean up spilled material. Don’t forget other pets in the house too! Push them out of the way and find out (if possible) how many grapes your dog has consumed.

Call your vet right away

While some toxins will require you to see how much you’ve eaten and how you are feeling, when ingesting grapes, it’s best to call your veterinarian right away. If your vet isn’t open, you’ll need to call the nearest open veterinary clinic, which may be an emergency clinic. If you are in the United States, you may also be able to call the Pet Poison Helpline for advice.

Follow your veterinarian’s instructions

Your vet is the best person to advise you on what to do next. Since Grape poisoning is so unpredictableThey will likely suggest that you pay a visit to begin treatment. This usually includes the dog’s illness, giving medication to block the absorption of toxins, and drawing a baseline blood sample so that it can be determined at a later date if there is a problem. Current advice suggests that dogs can stay in the hospital for up to 72 hours after eating grapes or raisins. However, your vet will discuss this with you so that you can make an informed decision.

Don’t self-medicate your dog

It might be tempting to treat your dog at home. This is not recommended. Trust your vet to give you the best advice on your individual situation. It is possible that your dog may not have a life-threatening reaction, but you don’t want to risk it happening through self-treatment.

frequently asked Questions

There are some common questions about dog grape consumption. We have answered them below preventively in case you are not yet clear about your next course of action (what to do) Call your vet!).

Should I hand my dog ​​over?

If your dog is eating a grape or raisin, you should consult your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline for advice. You can ask to make your dog sick at home and give them the drug combinations to use. Alternatively, they may recommend a visit for more aggressive therapy. Making your dog sick at home is not risk-free because your dog may inhale his or her vomit.

If it doesn’t work, it will limit options for your veterinarian, meaning your dog will be in a worse situation. `Your vet will weigh these risks as you seek their advice and determine the best course of action. Getting your dog sick without first speaking to a professional is never a good idea, even if they have told you so in the past.

What Happens When Dogs Eat Grapes?

Grapes cause acute kidney failure in dogs. The toxins in grapes appear to attack part of the dog’s kidney. While it appears that the kidney can often recover from this damage, dogs will need extreme support until then. The first and most common symptom of grape poisoning is vomiting. Next is diarrhea, lethargy, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, and wobbling. When the kidneys are affected, dogs can stop urinating, which is a very bad sign.

When do symptoms appear?

The first symptoms of grape poisoning usually appear within 24 hours. Signs of kidney failure on blood tests appear after 24-48 hours. If a dog has had no symptoms within 72 hours, it is likely that it will make a full recovery. A blood test at this point can show if further care is needed.

Will my dog ​​be okay?

When grape poisoning was first discovered, just about 50% of the dogs survived As soon as they showed signs of kidney problems. With modern medicine and increased awareness leading to faster intervention, this has improved. Fortunately, it is now much less common for a dog to die of grapes as long as it receives proper treatment. Current recommendations are that dogs should be made to vomit.

You should then be given activated charcoal. Once they’re done, it should be 72 hours in the hospital for liquids. We know that not all dogs are poisoned by grapes, and many are fine without treatment. However, until we know more about why some dogs do not appear to be affected, immediate and aggressive treatment seems to be necessary for all.

How can I stop my dog ​​from eating grapes?

There are grapes, raisins, currants and sultanas extremely unpredictable. The best way to keep your dog safe is to keep him from ever grabbing one. Make sure everyone in the house knows they should never feed the dog grapes. You should actively keep anything that is poisonous away from your dog.

Shut your dog off during snack time if the children tend to drop raisins. You should also watch out for cereals like granola and baked goods like flapjacks, hot rolls, and Christmas cakes.

Final thoughts

A tiny grape can seem harmless. Especially if you have a big dog. Unfortunately, even this tiny amount can damage a dog’s kidneys. While many dogs are fine, there is no way of knowing if your dog is fine or if it is badly affected.

The only surefire way to make sure your puppy gets the attention he needs right away is to Contact your veterinarian immediately. This is the best you can do, and should be the second thing that happens immediately after you remove the grapes from your pup’s reach.

Related posts

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.